Friday, July 19, 2013

Enchilada Sauce




Welcome to Mommy Chef! Let me start off my saying that I am in no way, form, or fashion a chef nor am I claiming to be one. I just wanted a cute title that my friends could remember and www.imamomandiliketocookandmyfamilyseemstolikeitoratleasteatitandihaventkilledanyoneyet.com just seemed like a mouthful. Maybe I'll use that one for my next blog.

Anyway, it seems I'm always cooking up something and I'm always posting (much to the chagrin of some of my Facebook "friends") or emailing the recipes, so I thought it would be easier to blog them. Plus, it's been about 18 months since I posted on my last blog, and I think that's a long enough vacation...(although, being pregnant and having a baby doesn't really qualify as a vacation unless you put an umbrella in your orange glucose drink and call it a cocktail).

So, back to cooking. I love to cook. And bake. And invent recipes whenever I think them up don't have one of the original ingredients. I love to cook your recipes. I love to cook your recipes and combine them with my recipes to make them our recipes. Sometimes that's how the best recipes are made anyway. It's can be fun no matter which way you go about it.

Since I'm a Texas girl and I grew up eating Mexican food every meal 99.9% of the time, I'm going to start with my Enchilada Recipe.

This recipe is really for my enchilada sauce. I have used this sauce to make various enchiladas (ground beef, beef fajita, shredded chicken, and chicken fajita). It's good with ALL of them.



Enchilada Sauce



Ingredients:

1\2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1\4 cup chili powder
2 tablespoons flour
1 can low sodium beef broth
15 ounce tomato sauce (update: I sometimes use half tomato sauce/half salsa)
1\2 teaspoon oregano
1\4 teaspoon basil
1\2 teaspoon salt
1\4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 can Old El Paso Enchilada Sauce

Directions:

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Stir in garlic powder and flour until smooth. Cook approximately one minute. Stir in chili powder.

Gradually stir in broth, tomato sauce, enchilada sauce, oregano, basil, salt and cumin.

Simmer 15-20 minutes.


To make the enchiladas:

Preheat oven to 350.

Dip the already heated and softened tortillas (I've used corn, flour, whole wheat flour) in sauce, coating both sides. Add your desired filling and roll up. Pour sauce over all of the enchiladas until they are all covered. (Don't use all of the sauce if you don't have to because you can freeze it). Sprinkle with cheese if you want to and bake for at least 20 minutes.

It's that easy, and you can make it ahead of time and freeze it for another day when you won't have the time (insert: energy, desire, patience) to cook.


****Will update with a photo as soon as I find one figure out how to do it on this computer.*****


No comments:

Post a Comment